Monday, January 31, 2011

While you wait...

I know, it's been a while. So while I work on some new posts, I thought I'd share a few links for sites that I just adore, and I think everyone else should too.  Just click the hotlinks and prepare to be entertained!

First up is a fantastic woman who really was the inspiration for my own blog, and I hope to meet her one day because I think we'd have a lot of fun hanging out and cooking together. And her husband wears chaps. Maybe he'd let mine borrow some...Oh dear. Where was I?

Yes, yes - The Pioneer Woman . Her name is Ree Drummond. She's married to a cattle rancher, has many children, is an amazing cook, and an incredible photographer. Please don't leave me for her, but definitely check her out. Also, tell her I sent you and that I want to meet her. Ree not only shares her recipes and photos, but also decorating, fashion, and even homeschooling stuff. And I want to be just like her when I grow up (even though Chris thinks I already am, without the cows).

Bakerella - This is, as far as I know, the birthplace of cake pops. If you don't know what they are then you have every reason in the world to visit this site. I'm making her S'more's cupcakes this week. She has amazing tips and inspiration for anyone who loves to bake cakes and cupcakes, and working with fondant. ~*WARNING: AVOID WHEN DIETING. YOU WILL BE COMPELLED TO CHEAT. *~

I have never been anywhere near New York, except for a 3 hour layover in Newark (which had a great view of Manhattan and delicious bagels), But I love Grubstreet . It's New York magazine's food blog, and it isn't just restaurant reviews, friends. It's all sorts of foodie articles, including a regular feature called "The New York Diet". NYD is sort of a celebrity food journal, where a public figure tells us what they eat for a week in the city. (Is anyone else compelled to spell New York, "New YOURK"? Maybe it's just me...)

Because I'm a girl and I like to window shop, there's Polyvore .I was introduced to this site by my future BFF The Pioneer Woman. It's so much fun! You drag & drop clothing, accessories, homewares, etc. onto a background and share with friends. The items are culled from all over the internet, in any price range. It's great for actual shopping, or if you are just looking to kill time and find inspiration.

I have to share my friend Kassandra Wood's blog. Budgeting Mommy follows Kassandra on her adventures in saving money. A lot of what she shares is local to the Carolina Lowcountry, but you can follow her advice and tips anywhere. I've been grocery shopping for a long time, but Kassandra's shopping strategies have really helped save our family money. And on top of that, her family is stinkin' adorable!

Saving the most important for last, The Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative is a project started by renown quilter Ami Simms (who happens to be a friend and business associate of my mom, Peg Howard). Ami's mother was a victim of alzheimer's, and this all-volunteer grassroots non-profit has raised nearly a half million dollars for research since 2006. Research funded by AAQI has been groundbreaking, and this is a worthy cause that deserves your attention. You will have to see for yourself the unbelievable artistry involved in the quilts for the AAQI. Stop by and check them out, bid on a quilt at auction, or simply learn about other ways to help. You can also find them on Facebook. ~*Ad revenue from here at BB&F will be donated to the AAQI, so please click for the cause!*~

Well, that should keep you occupied until I come back with some recipes and articles :)

No comments:

Post a Comment