Friday, February 18, 2011

Kitchen Queries: Bad Fruit

Krystal E. in Texas shot me a text the other day and I just had to share this with you all. Once we got to the bottom of things, I knew it would be an issue that others might have.

"I seriously cannot keep fruit in my house for longer than a day without it getting moldy. I think it's the humidity, any suggestions?"

I had more questions for Krystal before being able to help her. I found out that the offending fruit was primarily berries and they were local and fresh. She was keeping them in green bags, which allegedly keep your produce fresher for longer. No problems yet, right? Well apparently the instructions for the green bags tell users to wash the produce before storing it in the green bag. Which is fine, unless you're talking about berries.

Berries are pretty delicate fruits to begin with, and you want to eat them soon after purchase. If they will be hanging around the fridge for a few days though, don't wash them until you are ready to eat them. The residual moisture will sit on them and speed up spoilage. I'm all for being efficient and pre-washing my produce when I get home, but the one thing I don't do that with is berries.

Krystal said she'd try not washing them in advance, and I haven't heard back from her so I'm assuming it worked out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment