Friday, March 25, 2011

Not Just Any Orange

The Queen of Citrus- Blood Orange
As far as I'm concerned, this is the best thing to ever happen to the world of oranges. I can only find them in stores in February and March, and was shocked to see them here in little old Walterboro!

The flavor is very sweet, floral, and almost honey-like. And the smell, oh, the smell! I would love to just rub the zest behind my ears.

When looking for them in stores, look for an orange rind with a deep red blush to it. When you cut into it the flesh should be fragrant and look, well, blood red. Hence the name.

Apparently I have sausage fingers when juicing...
The juice makes for a FANTASTIC mimosa. Use it anywhere that regular orange juice is called for  for more depth of flavor. Segmented out it's great on salads with grilled chicken.  Treat my favorite orange just as you would any other. But with more respect and adoration, of course, for she is royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment